Congratulations to the Faculty and Staff of the Iowa Law community on your clear victory in ISBA’s spread the Love Peanut Butter and Jelly Drive!
A big thank you goes out to all of the students and faculty members who participated in last week’s “Spread the Love” PB&J Drive! The ISBA Philanthropy Committee sponsored the drive on behalf of the Johnson County Crisis Center, which provides much needed food and social services to county residents.
This need for peanut butter and jelly specifically is very pressing for the Crisis Center, as high-protein foods are a challenge for the Food Bank to stock.
For more information on the Crisis Center and how you can make a difference in the Johnson County community, please click here for more information!
A big thank you goes out to everyone who helped make the annual food drive a success! This year, the Iowa Law School Community donated food, daily living supplies, and money to the Crisis Center of Johnson County.
This year the Crisis Center, which provides much needed food and social services to Johnson County residents, received 346 pounds of food and daily living supplies as well as $221 in cash donations as a result of the generous contributions from the Iowa Law community!
This year, the ISBA made the food drive a competition among the student organizations at the law school. Items were categorized into point values, with the highest demand items receiving the most points. After all the points were calculated, this year’s food drive accumulated 2807 points! A marked improvement from the 2394 points from last year and 2165 points in 2011!!!
A big thank you and congratulations goes out to the winners and champions for this year’s annual food drive– PHIDS! The members of Phi Delta Phi donated an impressive 904 points alone! Great job PHIDS and Iowa Law for another successful food drive!
The Final Standings for the ISBA Annual Food Drive are:
- 1st: PHIDS (904 points)
- 2nd: Christian Legal Society (522 points)
- 3rd: Equal Justice Foundation (513 points)
- 4th: J. Reuben Clark (233 points)
- 5th: OWLSS (231 points)
- 6th: Iowa Law Review (169 points)
- 7th: Black Law Student Association (59 points)
- 8th: Military and National Security Law Society (57 points)
- 9th: ISBA (38 points)
- 10th: Intellectual Property Law Society (35 points)
- 11th: TLCP (27 points)
- 12th: JGRJ (15 points)
- 13th: Latino Law Student Association (4 points)
A big thank you to all the participating organizations and donors!
The Philanthropy Committee is conducting an all-school food drive to collect nonperishable food items, personal hygiene items and monetary donations.
Since we’re law students, we’re going to do this the competitive way. The organization that brings in the most non-perishable food item wins and can lord its donation-getting prowess over all the others. So in the spirit of helping your fellow people – and beating your fellow law student – please donate!!
Items will be accepted from November 18 – December 3 in the lobby of the law building.
Top 10 most desirable donations, as listed by the Crisis Center, include:
1. Financial Contributions; 2. Canned Fruit & Juice; 3. Canned Meat & Peanut Butter; 4. Hearty Soups and Stews; 5. Canned Vegetables; 6. Toilet Paper; 7. Baby Formula; 8. Baby Diapers (size 3 and up); 9. Laundry Detergent; 10. Pasta & Rice
Donations will go to Johnson County Crisis Center.
- Donors can contribute their donation towards the tally of one or multiple organizations if they choose, although they do not have to specify an organization for their donation. Donors will be able to allocate the total number of points towards either one organization or divide the points at their discretion among multiple organizations.
- A tally total will decide the winner & each item will count for one tally (or $1 for one tally). A signboard will note the organizations with the highest tallies for the day & will remain up before finals to recognize the organization with the most donations. All members of the law school community — students (members of organizations or not), faculty and staff are encouraged to donate items!
Point allocations for items:
- Baby Formula (per 23 oz.)
- Cleaning supplies (per bottle, container, or tool)
- Fruit, canned
- Meat, canned
- Peanut Butter (per 16–18 oz. jar)
- Other items over 32 oz. not listed above or below
- Diapers (per individual diaper)
- Fruit juice, canned
- Laundry Detergent (per 15 oz.)
- Soups & stews, hearty
- Vegetables, canned
- Other foods over 16 oz. not listed above or below
- Toilet Paper (per roll)
- Drinks, individually packaged (i.e. 8 oz. Gatorade packs)
- Pasta & rice dinners (per box or bag, not including Ramen)
- Rice (per 16 oz.)
- Soup, non-hearty
- Other goods in packs of multiple items
- Granola bars (per individual bar)
- Ramen Noodles
- Other individually wrapped foods in packs or boxes